How bande virtual classes help you build mental and physical muscle to get you moving in the great outdoors.
The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise: How Fitness Affects Mindset
Learn how fitness improves your mental health and well-being.
Working out can lead to mindset growth and keeps you grounded in times of transition.
Do you know that energized and refreshed feeling you get after working out? You may have had a long day at work, but after you exercise you feel less stressed and tired than before.
Moving your body triggers endorphins that leave you feeling rejuvenated. That's why exercising has so many powerful mental health benefits.
Exercise is even said to treat mild and moderate depression as effectively as an antidepressant medication.2
Beyond the physical benefits of endorphins, working out also cultivates a growth mindset. Setting a fitness goal and working towards it can motivate you to reach your goals in work and life as well.
Working out can have a huge positive impact on your outlook, resilience, and the way you cope with change. And after this past year of transitions, it’s crucial to have a routine that can keep you grounded.
Exercise is the key to cultivating a positive mindset, relieving stress and anxiety, and achieving your goals.
How does it all work?
The Relationship Between Physical Activity and Mental Health
You had a long and frustrating day at work. When the day is over, your energy feels off and it's hard to let go. Your stress is pent up, so you know you need to decompress.
In order to detach, you may be tempted to plop on the couch, indulge in some take-out, and binge-watch TV. But deep down, you know that'll make you feel overfull, zoned out, and even more anxious than before.
Instead, you work up the motivation to exercise. You tell yourself to just do one small thing – whether it's a walk outside or a short cardio class. You know if you take that first step, the endorphins will keep you wanting more.
After your workout, you feel rejuvenated. You released your pent-up energy and now feel more capable to take on the next workday.
That's the power of exercising for your mental health.
Of course, there are times when you deserve little TLC on the couch! But making a habit of exercise is a healthier way to decompress from – or get energized for – your day.
The Science Behind Endorphins
You’ve probably heard about endorphins and their positive effects before. When you work out, your central nervous system produces these amazing chemicals. They literally boost your mood and regulate your bodily systems.
The word endorphins comes from the word "morphine", which is a pain medication. But your body produces endorphins after a workout. Meaning they're a totally natural pain reliever.1
Plus, endorphins can be addictive. So once you get into a workout pattern, you’ll start to crave the feeling of endorphins. This helps make choosing a workout over the couch a habit!
How Fitness Growth Achieves Mindset Growth
Working towards a specific goal keeps you motivated to stay on track – whether that's in fitness, work, or your personal life. It's how you persuade yourself to keep going even when it gets hard. Like when you're waking up at 5 am to get a workout in before work.
Setting and achieving your fitness aspirations can make you a more goal-minded person overall. Reaching a goal creates a sense of accomplishment, productivity, and self-esteem. So you start to crave this feeling of accomplishment in all areas of life.
Cultivating a growth and goal-oriented mindset in fitness benefits you outside of exercise. It keeps you motivated to set and achieve goals in your work and personal lives as well!
4 Mental Health Benefits of Exercise
Exercising is one of the most effective ways to cultivate a positive and growth-focused mindset. And release anxiety, overwhelm, and stress.
These are just 4 of the many benefits of exercise on mental health:
- Improves Anxiety: Endorphins relieve built-up tension and stress and boost physical and mental energy. This is a healthy way to get rid of anxious energy that can otherwise be overwhelming. Endorphins are basically a natural elixir that enhances well-being!3
- Better Sleep & More Energy: You need the energy to face your responsibilities with positivity and resilience. So if you struggle to fall asleep or don't sleep through the night, exercising can help. Exercise helps you sleep longer and deeper – which means you'll have more energy for your days.
- Healthy Coping: When life throws you curveballs, exercise is a great way to cope with the challenges that you face. Take a break from stress and get rid of your anxious energy. You’ll come back feeling more grounded and ready to take on the challenges.
- Mental Focus and Productivity: You know when you’ve been working for a few hours and suddenly you hit a wall? At that point, trying to cultivate creativity and get work done is like pulling teeth. Instead of trying to force your thoughts, try taking an exercise break. This gets the juices in your brain flowing so you can come back and concentrate.
Exercising for mental health is a natural way to relieve stress, cope with change, and achieve more focused productivity at work.
Cultivating a fitness routine is a healthy way to deal with stress and strengthen your positive outlook. Your body will actually start craving the feeling of exercise, endorphins, and positivity!
How Exercising With bande Helps Mental Well-Being
Exercising benefits mental health by leading to a positive, growth-focused mindset. And once you get into a routine, the endorphins start flowing. So you'll find yourself less stressed and ready to cope with any challenges in your life.
Create a fitness routine that keeps you grounded and positive with bande. bande's program supports you by offering:
- A Variety of Class Types. Create a goal-oriented fitness plan and work with instructors that push you to the next level.
- Expert Instruction: Our fitness instructors encourage goal-setting and consistency, no matter where you are on your fitness journey.
- A Supportive Community. Connect with a network of other like-minded fitness people who have your back.
At bande, we know that fitness is about so much more than getting in shape. Exercise helps you achieve your goals, cope with change, and show up as your best self for the people who need you.
To experience the supportive community of bande, sign up for a bande 7-day free trial today. Start creating a positive, well-rounded life and mindset!